Please contact your library if you have any questions regarding borrowing or renewing material.
Most of our material (including books, magazines, CDs, eBooks, eAudiobooks, and many kits) has a three week checkout period and can be renewed up to four times if there are no holds. There isn’t a limit on the number of items you can check out. Some exceptions:
- DVDs are checked out one week.
- Lucky Day books are checked out for two weeks. Depending on your library, you may have one or two checked out. These can’t be renewed.
- Book Club Kits are checked out for six weeks. These can’t be renewed.
- For eBooks/eAudiobooks, you can have five items checked out from Cloud Library and Overdrive, and ten eAudiobooks from RB Digital for three weeks. Cloud Library and Overdrive allow renewals on items without holds.
- Items from another library system (Interlibrary Loan) are checked out three weeks for books and CDs and one week for movies and can’t be renewed.
You can renew materials at the library, by phone at 952-279-5244 or online. You will need your library card number and the barcodes of the items you want to renew.
All Carver County Libraries and our Carver, Cologne and Mayer Express locations have 24-hour book drops. Victoria Express has a book drop open during Victoria Recreation Center open hours.
Additionally, you can return most items to any library in the seven-county metro area. These will have the date noted, and when they return to the Carver County Library system we check them in as that date- please note these will appear on your account until we receive them. Items borrowed from other library systems using Interlibrary Loan must be returned to a Carver County Library.
Materials kept past the due date accrue fines.
- Juvenile materials are $.10 per item per day. The maximum fine for each overdue item is $2.
- Adult materials are $.30 per item per day The maximum fine for each overdue item is $6.
If you have over $10 of fines and fees on your card, your account will be blocked from placing holds, checking out and renewing items until the total is less than $10. You can pay your library fines and fees online in your account with a credit card.
Overdue, Lost, or Damaged Material
Bills are sent for the replacement cost of items that are long overdue, or damaged. Borrowers are responsible for replacement cost (the retail cost of the item plus a processing fee). The replacement fee is non-refundable. We don't accept customer purchased replacements.
Carver County Library uses Unique Management Services, a materials recovery agency, to encourage patrons to return billed items to the library. Patron accounts will be forwarded to Unique Management Services if customers do not return materials after receiving our notification if their account has more than $50 in library fines and fees. Accounts forwarded to Unique Management Services will be assessed a $10 service fee.