Please contact your library if you have any questions regarding borrowing or renewing material.
There is no limit on the number of items you can check out. Most of our material can be checked out for three weeks and renewed up to four times if there are no holds. Some exceptions:
- DVDs are checked out one week.
- Lucky Day books are checked out for two weeks. Depending on your library, you may have one or two checked out. These can’t be renewed.
- Book Club Kits are checked out for eight weeks. These can’t be renewed. (It used to be six weeks.)
- For eBooks/eAudiobooks, you can have five items checked out from Cloud Library and ten eAudiobooks from RB Digital for three weeks. Cloud Library allows renewals on items without holds.
- Items from another library system (Interlibrary Loan) are checked out three weeks for books and CDs and one week for movies and can’t be renewed.
You can renew materials at the library, by phone at 952-279-5244 or online. You'll need your library card number and the barcodes of the items you want to renew.
You can return all items at any of our library locations and Cologne and Mayer Express locations at any time book drop. Victoria Express has a book drop open during Victoria Recreation Center open hours. You can drop off any Carver County Library item, plus most items from any library in the seven-county metro area.
If you keep your material past your due date, the late fees are:
- $.10 per item per day for Juvenile material. The maximum fine for each overdue item is $2.
- $.30 per item per day for Adult material. The maximum fine for each overdue item is $6.
Cards with a balance of $10 or more are blocked from placing holds, checking out and renewing items until the total is less than $10. You can pay your library fines and fees online in your account with a credit card.
Overdue, Lost, or Damaged Material
Bills are sent for the replacement cost of items that are long overdue or damaged. Borrowers are responsible for replacement cost (the retail cost of the item plus a processing fee). The replacement fee is non-refundable. We don't accept customer purchased replacements.
Carver County Library uses the materials recovery agency Unique Management Services to encourage patrons to return billed items to the library. Accounts are sent there if customers didn't return materials after receiving our notification of a $50 or more account balance. These accounts are also assessed a $10 service fee.